Interesting facts on
1. Istanbul (ancient Byzantium) was founded on Seven Hills like Rome.
2. Istanbul is the only city in the world which is both in Europe and
3. Istanbul was the most crowded city of the world in 1502, than London
took this title in 1840.
4. There are two suspension bridges on the Bosphorus Strait connecting
Europe to Asia. And now a third one is planned.
5. Istanbul has the third oldest subway in the world, built in 1875.
It's 573 meters long and located in Tunel neighborhood at Beyoglu
district. London subway was built in 1863 and New York subway in 1868.
6. First traffic accident occured in 1912 at Sisli district, when the
driver of the Italian Embassy hit a pedestrian and tried to run away
from the scene.
7. Grand Bazaar is the biggest old covered bazaar in the world, with
over 3.000 shops.
8. Hagia Sophia was the largest church in the world for about 900 years.
9. Istanbul will be European Cultural Capital City in 2010.
Looking from the autocar
Looking from the sea vessel on
Looking from the bus
In the area of Sultan Ahmed Mosque late evening
Visitors of coffee shops during
the broadcast of football championship
History and architecture
Snapshots are taken by Valery
NOVOSELSKY - the participant of a Youth conference BarCamp Istanbul
2008 held by the Open Society Institute (OSI) in Istanbul on 21-22 June
Mr. Valery Novoselsky
Consultant of European Roma Information Office (ERIO)